• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crazy family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

familydrama2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Our family is crazy! But that's besides the point! My grandfather died in 1995, and his will was never read. My grandmother just pasted away in 2009, and the will still hasn't been read, or at least they aren't letting my dad know if it has or not. His brother is appointed executor, but keeps telling him not to worry about it. Well he is worrying about it because there is land involved that was suppose to be given to him. My grandmother has been dead since September 2009, should the will have been read by now? And should my dad be concerned that the executor is saying don't worry about it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

Generally, there is no "reading of the will." Not that a reading can't take place - it's a nice dramatic touch - but it is not required.

Has your father received any kind of notice that a probate proceeding has been initiated?

Tell him to call or visit the probate court in the county in which your grandmother resided to clarify whether the will has been submitted to the court and a probate case opened. If it has, any matters pertaining to the probate estate should be in the case file and available for viewing/copying.

Do an internet search for something like "Maine probate process" and you should get a number of hits for websites that describe the process that should be happening. For example, this pdf from the Maine Bar:

http://www.mainebar.org/documents/lris/OLPROBATE06.pdf

Dandy Don

Your father may want to retain his own attorney. He is not being given full disclosure that he is entitled to as a beneficiary, and he can perhaps force probate open on the previous wills that have not been probated yet, IF he is a potential beneficiary and if title to certain assets needs to be retroactively established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">