• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cela25

About 6 years ago i was fired for being tardy. I had called about 15 minutes prior to advise them i was going to be late on account i was filing a restraint order on my ex-husband who had tried to kill me! When I got to work i was led into a office and told to sign a letter and take my last check and then the manager walked out. I was so distraught I did not know what to do. And later as I thought about it i think my ex-husbands mother called to have me fired on account she used to work there and new the manager that fired me! I was not really given a n explanation. Well now I just want to know if I would be able to sue?

Thank You

A

Attorney_Replogle

I am going to assume you worked in California where I practice. You do not have a case at all for two reasons. One, you were an at-will employee. That means you can be termintated at any time, with or without a reason. The exceptions are that you can't be terminated based on a protected ground. Next, even if you were wrongfully terminated, you forever lost your rights to sue since you had to of sued within one year of your termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">