• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needprotection

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon, Portland.

My mother just past away. I called my mother's and step father's estate/tax attorney and he told me that he doesl not represent my mother and I anymore, since my mother died and now he only represents my stepfather. He did say that all my mother's personal property, furniture, jewerly goes to me. And that I will get half of the home which is part of the estate. My step father took all the estate papers, including the red book?concerning the furnishings,etc away before I had a chance to review it. Question 1.) If my step father comes to take some of my mom's personal property how can I stop him? 2.) Is my mom's car part of the personal property? 3.) My stepfather wants to sell their home ( my mother's and stepfather) How can I protect my half interest in the home, if he sells the home?

justalayman

slow down a bit.

first, did your mother have a will?

were your mother and the man you are calling your step father married at her death?

you say she owned a house. any idea if the step father was also on the title to the house? If so, any idea if it was held jointly or as tenants in common?

1.) If my step father comes to take some of my mom's personal property how can I stop him?
it depends on their relationship at the time of death, who owns the home, and a few other things. Start with answers to my questions.

2.) Is my mom's car part of the personal property?
it depends on how it was titled

3.) My stepfather wants to sell their home ( my mother's and stepfather) How can I protect my half interest in the home, if he sells the home?
depending on how the title was held, you may or may not have any interest in the home. Needs answers to my questions to be able to give you anymore answers.

excuse my ignorance but what are you referring to with the mention of the "red book"?

here is a little info to read about probating an estate in Oregon.:

http://www.osbar.org/public/pamphlets/probate.html

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">