• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a Business in Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof2boys1131

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I bought a restaurant with a partner 2 years ago. She walked away 4 months into it and never returned. The business was drowning in debt so I sold it. I paid some of the debt at settlement and set up a payment schedule and have been slowly paying it down. My partner recently came back and thinks I made a profit (which I didn't, obviously) and she wants me to pay her part of the sale. Apparently she doesn't understand that there was NO profit and ALOT of debt. Isn't she legally responsible for part of the debt?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I bought a restaurant with a partner 2 years ago. She walked away 4 months into it and never returned. The business was drowning in debt so I sold it. I paid some of the debt at settlement and set up a payment schedule and have been slowly paying it down. My partner recently came back and thinks I made a profit (which I didn't, obviously) and she wants me to pay her part of the sale. Apparently she doesn't understand that there was NO profit and ALOT of debt. Isn't she legally responsible for part of the debt?
It would depend on how your partnership is set up. Unfortunately, we are not privy to those arrangements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">