• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advise on burial rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lovie896

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My father passed away on February 1st of this year. We buried him at the cemetery that he wished to be laid to rest at. Two months later we received a call stating he was buried in the wrong spot; it was reserved by someone else's family. We were very upset about having to exhume him, but knew if we didn't the other family would be upset as well. So we met with a board member of the church, (Or so we think) to choose a place for my father to be moved to. The reason I am referring to him as the supposed board member, is because he's not even a member of the church the cemetery belongs to. At that time we made it clear we were not footing the bill, on account of his mishap. He was very rude the whole time we were there, like it was a hassle for him. My mother wanted to reserve one or two more plots, because naturally, she wants to be buried next to my father. He said, "You want to reserve more plots and you're just not going to pay any money out. Is that right?" My mother was appalled at this, because she had paid for the first burial and intended on donating to the cemetery regularly. My dad has only been gone two and a half months; so obviously, it hasn't been that long since the grounds have received donations from our family. Tonight my mother received another phone call from the, "board member's" wife. She told my mom that they were digging my dad up Wednesday. We had never agreed to any plans that they have made. My mother signed a "contract" that the "board member" wrote up, stating we were moving my dad from the plot he's in, to the one we've chose. Nothing about a date for this to take place. She also said that the funeral home did not have to be present. I just want to know if it is illegal to remove someone's family member without consent from the family. And if so, what are the legal repercussions.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">