• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bertshannon

We live in Michigan.
How much more money can someone sue for than what is really owed?
Thank-You

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bertshannon said:
We live in Michigan.
How much more money can someone sue for than what is really owed?
Thank-You
My response:

The maximum jurisdictional limit of the Michigan Small Claims court is $3,000.00. Keep in mind, however, that all because someone sues you for that amount, or any amount above that which is "actually owed", still must prove to the judge that all such damages are owed.

For example, if you and I have a contract for $1,000.00, and I sue you for $3,000.00, it is doubtful, and highly unlikely, that a judge would award me $3,000.00 against you.

In order for me to obtain more money from you than the contract amount, I would have to be able to prove "fraud", "oppression" or "malice" against you which, if proved, could open you up to a greater judgment against you. But, proving any of these criteria is an extremely difficult task.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 04-05-2001 at 05:12 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">