• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business owner self embezzlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My wife and I work for my father-in-law's insurance agency. The agency is set up as a corporation and is an independent agency. The owner writes corporation checks to himself daily. He pays every personal expense he has out of the company payroll. I do mean to paint with a broad brush here, as he even reimburses himself his insurance copays and pharmacy copays. He has bought two expensive autos, several bass boats, remodeled his house several times, built a large garage to house the two autos. He has bought several lawn tractors. Pretty much if he has had to spend one red cent since 1998; he done so out of the company payroll account. He is constantly wandering around the office cussing the other employees and threatens to fire everybody because he says we don't make any money. This man will not even by a set of brochures for the office. My wife finally had enough one day and said if he would quit draining the company of money maybe we could earn some. His response was, "its his money and he will spend it the way he sees fit." My question is can he really do this, spend money out of the company like this? I believe he is the sole owner in it, but it could be him and his wife, not really sure on that point. Any info would be appreciated.

tranquility

While there may be tax issues, there is no embezzlement. But, unless you deal with the books and want to report to the IRS, best you just leave it alone.

jss

Thats wise advice and appreciated, but my wife does deal with the books. All the owner does is write checks to himself.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So long as they are properly recorded, the issuance of the checks is not necessarily a problem.

CraigFL

So your wife knows enough about the books to be sure that the company profits(his), payback for contributions to the company equity(his), payback for Loans to the company(his), and his salary does not agree with his tax records -- both business and personal??

jss

So your wife knows enough about the books to be sure that the company profits(his), payback for contributions to the company equity(his), payback for Loans to the company(his), and his salary does not agree with his tax records -- both business and personal??
OoooooK, Thanks for all your "answers" and nevermind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">