• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are trusts registered somewhere? Suspicious behavior by trustee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beachy

My aunt passed away. Her partner (the trustee/executor) told me that my aunt left me a house she owned free and clear and that the house was deeded into her revocable trust in my name. The rest of my aunt's assets (including a large stock portolio) were to go to her partner. When I spoke with my aunt's attorney, he told me the same thing. My aunt's partner even told me that I needed to make a decision with what I wanted to do with the house, if I wanted to keep it or sell it.

Suddenly, everything has changed. When I called my aunt's partner about finding a realtor she coldly responded that the house was NOT going to me, that it was only the remainder of the trust that I was to inherit after the house was sold and everything else was paid (taxes, fees, etc) and that she had already listed the property with a realtor. So I called my aunt's attorney to request a copy of the trust and suddenly he said the same thing. When I asked for a copy of the trust to be faxed to me it took several days and the copy I received was very poor typed quality. I know that my aunt's partner (who herself is an attorney) is good friends with my aunt's attorney and I can't shake the feeling that they worked out an agreement to change my aunt's trust. So my question is, are trusts or wills ever recorded somewhere else that I could verify that my aunt's trust is authentic? How do I know that my aunt's partner and her attorney didn't change it? Also, how can I know exactly what was in my aunt's estate (accounts, etc)? I just find everyone's behavior to be very suspicious.

Kiawah

My aunt passed away. Her partner (the trustee/executor) told me that my aunt left me a house she owned free and clear and that the house was deeded into her revocable trust in my name. The rest of my aunt's assets (including a large stock portolio) were to go to her partner. When I spoke with my aunt's attorney, he told me the same thing. My aunt's partner even told me that I needed to make a decision with what I wanted to do with the house, if I wanted to keep it or sell it.

Suddenly, everything has changed. When I called my aunt's partner about finding a realtor she coldly responded that the house was NOT going to me, that it was only the remainder of the trust that I was to inherit after the house was sold and everything else was paid (taxes, fees, etc) and that she had already listed the property with a realtor. So I called my aunt's attorney to request a copy of the trust and suddenly he said the same thing. When I asked for a copy of the trust to be faxed to me it took several days and the copy I received was very poor typed quality. I know that my aunt's partner (who herself is an attorney) is good friends with my aunt's attorney and I can't shake the feeling that they worked out an agreement to change my aunt's trust. So my question is, are trusts or wills ever recorded somewhere else that I could verify that my aunt's trust is authentic? How do I know that my aunt's partner and her attorney didn't change it? Also, how can I know exactly what was in my aunt's estate (accounts, etc)? I just find everyone's behavior to be very suspicious.

Not registered anywhere in my state

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">