• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

greatorex

three years ago i allowed the guy i was dating to become an authorized user on my credit card because his credit would not allow him to get one of his own. the deal was that when he couldn't pay his bills for any one month, he could take a cash advance to cover the bills, then pay back the credit card as soon as he could. needless to say, we broke up 2 years ago, and he still owes $350 to a credit card that's in my name. i know this may not seem like a lot of money to some people, but it is to me and i really don't want to get stuck paying it back. is there anything i can do legally to get my money back, even though as the primary cardholder i am "responsible" for all authorized users? he hasn't sent me a cent in the past year. would it just end up costing me much more to persue this thing in small claims? we are from maine. thanks!

JETX

Here is your situation:

1) The fact that you let him charge to your card makes you responsible for repayment.

2) The only way that you can get any money from him, would be to sue him in Small Claims and get a judgment. The chance of winning in court depends entirely on whether this was a loan and whether you are able to convince the court that it was. Otherwise, he will claim it was a gift.

And if you win in court, you will win your 'damages' (money owed and don't forget the accrued interest), plus court costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">