• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend's mother passes away with no will.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tom Reid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa.

My fiends mother passed away two weeks ago leaving no will and with an estate valued at less than $10,000 in the state of Pa.

She resided with her male companion for 5 years before her death.

The issue is that do her children have any legal rights to relatively valueless momento's and various family memorabilia. The apartment lease was in both of their names.

My friend and his brother are her blood sons and immediate family, she was divorced 5 years ago from the son's biological father who has no involvment in the matter.

The decedents sons are only asking for the family memorabilia and momento's from prior to their becomming a couple; they were never married.

Do the son's have any legal recourse to reclaim these items?

Tom

justalayman

If the items were owned solely by the mother, yes, absolutely. Due to the intestate status of the decedent, the children will inherit all of their mothers personal property.

I believe PA does have inheritance tax to deal with as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">