• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of speech violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster

I'm in California and my son is a first grader in a public school. Yesterday his teacher asked me to talk to him about not using the phrase "what the..." because the only word she could think of to fill in the blank was an expletive.

I explained that the word he would use is "heck", as he's not familiar with the expletive version. I asked if it was causing a problem or disruption to the class, because if not, it wasn't something I was willing to correct.

She responded that she would talk to him about it in class then.

I asked if he would be disciplined for using the phrase. She responded that it makes some kids uncomfortable when he uses the word "heck", and he was in fact disciplined yesterday for saying it.

I responded with a willingness to talk to my son about using less offensive alternatives to express himself while he was in the classroom. I also told her that I didn't feel it was my son's or our responsibility to ensure the comfort of others, as this statement is not directed at anyone personally, is not causing a disruption to the classroom and I do not find the phrase or word hurtful or offensive. I also indicated that I believed his freedom of speech rights were being tread upon.

I looked up the school rules and the closest thing that applies is:

Comments that insult or degrade a person because of his/her actual or perceived race, ethnic background, national origin, physical appearance, financial status, religion, age, sex, gender2, gender identity, physical disability, mental disability, sexual orientation, family structure or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.

I also looked up the definition of heck:

–interjection
(used as a mild expression of annoyance, rejection, disgust, etc.): What the heck do you care?
–noun
something remarkable of its kind (usually used in the phrase heck of a ): That was a heck of an impressive speech. Have one heck of a good time.
—Idiom
as heck (used as a mild intensifier): I say he's guilty as heck.
Use heck in a Sentence

Origin:
1850–55; euphemistic alter. of hell

I personally don't see anything wrong with these definitions, but can understand that it might bother other people because they're likely to interpret the definition as alternate to the word "hell". So even though I disagree that my son should have to alter his choice of expression, for the sake of "getting along", I've talked to him and given him alternatives to use, like "what in the world", "what on earth" or "what's going on?".

My question is (finally) am I within my (and my son's) rights to ask that the teacher not discipline my son for using the phrase (because he's bound to slip up, especially now that so much attention is on this issue), but that I will continue to work with him (for the remaining 7 weeks of school) to use alternative phrases? I don't feel he should be disciplined for using this phrase, as really he's using it by one of the first two definitions, not as an alternate to hell, or worse, the f-word.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The teacher has the right to control her classroom. Your child needs to be taught that sometime it is NOT appropriate to use certain phrases. One of those times is when the (teacher, boss, etc) specifically directs that it not be used...

I'm in California and my son is a first grader in a public school. Yesterday his teacher asked me to talk to him about not using the phrase "what the..." because the only word she could think of to fill in the blank was an expletive.

I explained that the word he would use is "heck", as he's not familiar with the expletive version. I asked if it was causing a problem or disruption to the class, because if not, it wasn't something I was willing to correct.

She responded that she would talk to him about it in class then.

I asked if he would be disciplined for using the phrase. She responded that it makes some kids uncomfortable when he uses the word "heck", and he was in fact disciplined yesterday for saying it.

I responded with a willingness to talk to my son about using less offensive alternatives to express himself while he was in the classroom. I also told her that I didn't feel it was my son's or our responsibility to ensure the comfort of others, as this statement is not directed at anyone personally, is not causing a disruption to the classroom and I do not find the phrase or word hurtful or offensive. I also indicated that I believed his freedom of speech rights were being tread upon.

I looked up the school rules and the closest thing that applies is:

Comments that insult or degrade a person because of his/her actual or perceived race, ethnic background, national origin, physical appearance, financial status, religion, age, sex, gender2, gender identity, physical disability, mental disability, sexual orientation, family structure or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.

I also looked up the definition of heck:

–interjection
(used as a mild expression of annoyance, rejection, disgust, etc.): What the heck do you care?
–noun
something remarkable of its kind (usually used in the phrase heck of a ): That was a heck of an impressive speech. Have one heck of a good time.
—Idiom
as heck (used as a mild intensifier): I say he's guilty as heck.
Use heck in a Sentence

Origin:
1850–55; euphemistic alter. of hell

I personally don't see anything wrong with these definitions, but can understand that it might bother other people because they're likely to interpret the definition as alternate to the word "hell". So even though I disagree that my son should have to alter his choice of expression, for the sake of "getting along", I've talked to him and given him alternatives to use, like "what in the world", "what on earth" or "what's going on?".

My question is (finally) am I within my (and my son's) rights to ask that the teacher not discipline my son for using the phrase (because he's bound to slip up, especially now that so much attention is on this issue), but that I will continue to work with him (for the remaining 7 weeks of school) to use alternative phrases? I don't feel he should be disciplined for using this phrase, as really he's using it by one of the first two definitions, not as an alternate to hell, or worse, the f-word.

Thanks.

JETX

am I within my (and my son's) rights to ask that the teacher not discipline my son for using the phrase (because he's bound to slip up, especially now that so much attention is on this issue), but that I will continue to work with him (for the remaining 7 weeks of school) to use alternative phrases?
Of course you are. And the school is just as well within their 'rights' to remove any 'disturbance from the classroom' so that the other children can learn.

cyjeff

Whatever happened to telling children that certain words or phrases were inappropriate at certain times?

The teacher is NOT your child's parent. Therefore, it is absolutely 100% YOUR job to keep your child's behavior under control.

t0ddie

yes it is illegal, but there is nothing that will ever be done about it.
we dont live in america anymore.

do yourself a favor and take your kid out of public school, and use private or home schooling

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">