• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal search and seizure, alongside personal threats!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sk8rslim

ok this happened in mississippi...thursday afternoon 6 d.e.a. agents, two lee county sheriffs and two northwest campus police officers entered my dorm room and served my room-mate with a warrent, charges being conspiracy to distribute and produce mdma (extacsy). the warrent included only my room mate and the area of his control. one of the officers began to frisk me and my room mates (for weapons he said). from me he confinscated a small key-chain mj pipe. a few min. later we were all asked to sign forms allowing them to search our belongings. when my other room mates refused to sign (because they didn't want they're belongings strewn about) one of the officers stated that "if you do not sign i will go get a warrent and tear your sh-- apart" fowlling this two of them signed, however, one did not and his possesions were searched and some (paintball guns and accessories) confinscated (without a new warrent. the search produced no evidence of mdma or any other drugs, weapons, drug money or anything pertaining to the reason for search stated on the warrent. however items confinscated included; my pipe, two of my fellow room mates paintball guns, 1/2 bottle of scotch wiskey, and paintball accessories. now these things (seized by the campus police) are being used to have us evicted. my questions are 1. can the campus police search the room under a d.e.a warrent? and 2. was there any illegal searching involved?--as a side note we were not immediatly informed why the agents were in our room. thanks,
Robert

racer72

Nothing any of the officers from any juridictions did sounds out of line. The rules of the dorm most likely most likely do not allow paraphenalia or firearms (paintball guns are considered firearms in most states) and they had the right to sieze them. There must have been some kind of probable cause for the warrant to be issued and you suffered the consequences for it. As a federal agency, the D.E.A. has the authority to search just about anywhere. You may wish to seek local legal counsel just to verify what options are available to you.

S

sk8rslim

-my reply to your reply-

well, i would think that a warrant would be needed by the campus police to search my personal belongings; espically since this is clearly stated in the campus rules. therefore the search was illegal. the d.e.a had already preformed their search and did not confinscate the paintball guns. then these back-woods cops came in and tried to push us around and take our belongings there was no probably cause for search...the d.e.a. search produced no evidence, so what exactly were the campus police doing there? well i am also a pre-law major and i have looked up many laws pertaining to this particular situation that have led me to make my conclusions.

thanks for the honest response

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">