• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does beneficiary trump heir?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moeymo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? montana
I was named a beneficary to a retirement account of my grandmother's. When my grandfather passed away his will was contested. His heirs came to a compromise, which did not include me to recieve any monetary inheretance. My grandmother took the money out of her estate and created this retirement account to which I am a beneficiary. The heirs of the estate have placed a restraining order on me to the funds and a freeze upon the account. The account has been moved into probate. Since the will was agreed upon first, then my grandmother moved the monies to choose her own beneficiaires; will I still be able to recieve the funds I was named beneficiary to?

justalayman

it doesn't sound like the account should have been involved in probate at all. Accounts that have designated beneficiaries go to the bene and are not controlled by probate.

If this is enough money to consider a lawyer, I would suggest doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">