• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Starting a Charity: Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drusepth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri (MO)

For the past few weeks I have been researching the requirements to start a charity, and I have concluded that it is plausible and I'm almost ready to take action. However, I have a few unresolved questions that I couldn't find answers to yet, and I was hoping someone here could help:

• The goal of the charity is to purchase domains, hosting, and software for writers. Because it only deals with non-tangible products, I would ideally like to operate the charity from my own home. However, I have read about zoning laws in general and how businesses cannot operate in residential areas. The Articles of Incorporation for a Nonprofit Organization has a field for "The name and street address of the Registered Agent and Registered Office in Missouri," which is where this question stems from. Would zoning laws apply to me if I didn't intend to create an official "business" building that people would be able to visit, but instead just wanted to list my own address as contact information?
  • I don't quite have the cash in hand to pay several hundred dollars for the tax exemption application fee to the IRS. I'm not aware of whether tax exemption is a requirement for charities or if it's a benefit. Am I required to apply for tax exemption status for the charity immediately, or would I be able to apply at a later date?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">