• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To LLC or not to LLC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

defyinggravityx

NY

I'm starting a gigging musical ensemble with about 6 other people. I didn't think I would ever have to incorporate or become an LLC but people have been telling me that if I'm going to start bringing in that much money I have to become an LLC. Just a few other details about myself: I would like to be a sole owner. I'm 20 and my parents still claim me on their taxes.

I'm leaning towards the LLC thing. Is that the right thing to do? I also don't fully understand what that would entail in terms of cost.

Thanks

FlyingRon

How much money you're bringing in is NOT a consideration in having an LLC or not. What makes you think you need a corporation or LLC?

You should be paying taxes on your band income regardless of whether your parents claim you. How much is "that much money?" Unless you are a full time student, at 20, making close to $4000 disqualifies you form being a dependent on your parents return.

For either an LLC or a corporation, you'll need to draft the articles of incorporation (you can by these or have someone prepare them for you, it will run $$$), the state filing fees total about $200 in NY. You also have to advertise formation in the newspaper, that will run additional money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">