• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what can be done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandisena

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
My husband and I had been living apart for the past year in the same small town. We had to live apart because he had criminal proceedings against him and in order to keep the kids, we could not reside together. On March 31, 2010, I was taking our daughter with her scheduled visit with him, and I found him dead of a heart attack in bed. My husbands mother told everyone that we were divorced and even the coroner gave her over $2000.00 cash out of the home. The police knew that we were separated but still married and turned our home over to his mother. 2 days later she put padlocks on the property because she knew that I had keys. We buried him on April 6th 2010 and I filed with the court to be PR. I was told they were removing things from the home so while waiting for the PR I became special administrator. I went into the home to find his mother had taken everything from our home. I called the police but I am not sure what can be done. His family took not only our marital property, my separate property and his separate property, but also everything from our daughter down to everything from her birth to recent including her birth certificate. Will she be forced to return everything to the estate. She is trying to say that she has never been in there and that the padlocks only went on 2 weeks ago, which I know better.

latigo

Why aren’t you following the advice of the attorney that represents you in the probate proceedings?!

brandisena

I am, and this is what is going on. But he acts as if everything will be just fine, yet my inlaws are already lying to the police

latigo

I am, and this is what is going on. But he acts as if everything will be just fine, . . .
Then insist that your attorney provide you with a written summary covering all of the issues that are keeping you awake at night. Spelling out the legal reasons why these issues should not be keeping you awake at night.

Then if you are not satisfied with the lawyer's response, discharge him/her and hire one that will let you get some sleep.

Take control of what you can control and stop fretting over trying to control what the in-laws may or may not be telling the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">