• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment upon Termination

• Thread starter GlennHardcastle
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GlennHardcastle

Does an employer have to pay you your final checks upon termination? Is ther a time limit that they have to pay you within 24 hours or what? If they don't pay you are the resposible to pay you a prorated amount for the days they didn't pay you upon termination? Since the slary earned was for last months totals does that mean I have to wait till thier next pay period to get my check?

B

buddy2bear

Usually, you will have to wait for your regular payday and that is perfectly legal for the company to do. They only have to pay you for the time worked before your termination and/or any unused accrued vacation time.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Buddy2bear is absolutely wrong as far as California law is concerned. Any and all employers who terminate an employee MUST present the final paycheck to that terminated employee on his last day of work. That final paycheck MUST include all due wages, vacation pay, sick pay, and any other wages/benefits payable in money. If the employer fails (intentionally or otherwise) to do this, the California Labor Board or a private attorney acting on behalf of the Labor Board, can force the company to pay various fines in addition up to 30 days of that terminated employee's regular pay/salary.

S

soozy

moey

I have a 17 year old daughter who was employed at extended stay america for 1 week, she was terminated from her job on 04/05/01, she still has not given her her money, yet. my question is. Is it a law when someone is terminated that the employer has 48 hours to pay all wages to the terminated employee?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Yes it is a law in California. It is called California Labor Code Section 201. In Soozy' case the wages would also be due immediately. Not within 48 hours, immediately upon termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">