• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bserver19609

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
My Father recently died. He didn't not own much. I am his only child. He had one brother and one sister as the only other close relatives. He was not married. My mother and him divorced in the 70's.
He passed away in Oregon. He owned a farm place with some acreage in ("common" term on the land title) with his brother and sister. The farm place is in Minnesota.
My uncle (my Dad's brother) who has been living on the farm, has found out that it needs to go through probate to give my Dad's portion (which is about 40%) to me. This is what my Uncle and Aunt want also...there is no arguement on this. My questions are basically, where do I start? What needs to be done? He did not really own anything in Oregon.
Why do I have to go thru Probate when, I am an only child and this is what the other land owners (Uncle and Aunt) want also? Ugh
Any help appreciated!

justalayman

Why do I have to go thru Probate when, I am an only child and this is what the other land owners (Uncle and Aunt) want also?
because there has to be somebody that can act as the estate to transfer the property to the heir. There will also be an income tax filing for your father and for the estate that need to be addressed.

There may be a small estate or simple form or probate available that might be applicable depending on the value of the real estate:

Probate Court

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">