• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LynneNJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I started a business with a partner. I have paid for the website and the url for over a year, out of my own pocket. We have gotten big and busy and have filed for but not received our 501c3, yet. My partner is now looking to get me out and claims everything belongs to the business, going back to the beginning and I must hand it over or she will start a lawsuit and send the police. The business was just us two in the beginning, until now and I have all the files and Treasurer records. I have shut down the website and will not be competing with her if she chooses to start over. Can she sue for what was/is essentially ours, jointly? We were operating out of a joint personal checking account, which she emptied out, not an account under any business name. We were incorporated in NJ, together back in November.

FlyingRon

The money should have been in an account under the corporation name. A personal joint account can be withdrawn by either party. The other stuff is still an asset of the corporation. Who are the shareholders? Was it incorporated as a non-profit (even if you never got tax status for that). If it was the assets of the corporation may rightfully belong to NEITHER of you.

LynneNJ

We were not incorporated as a non-profit in the state of NJ until December, 09. I don't care about the money, just not helping her further or giving over my work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">