• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gradi Arnold

Recently my brother and I got into an arguement in a parking lot,in California, and someone called the police.
The officer asked my brother if they could search his car, he told them no. So the officer gets a card and starts asking him if he has any tattoos, if he's right or left handed, etc. I also refused to let them search my car and the officer told his partner to fill a card out for me also.
Isn't this rather odd? Is this okay for them to do? I think it was quite obvious that because we exercised our right to refuse to let them search our cars, we were put into some kind of file system. And that really gives me the creeps.
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

B

bird1

They were just doing a public encounter form that they are required to do.
Had the building or a building in the area been burglarized or some crime in that area been comitted around the time that you were there arguing with your brother, a detective will be by to see you as you are a potential suspect.
Yes it is legal. personally I would have arrested you for disturbing the peace if a citizen called in to report you.

calatty

In CA, the police are not required to fill out a public encounter form. What they police were doing is filling out field identification cards, probably because they suspected you of being gang members. The card will be kept on file at the police station. It is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">