• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website Stealing Business Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracydixie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Had a customer tell me today that when she did a Yahoo search on my business, a website came up with my business name.com. I typed it in and it was a website that had specials and services similar to what I offer at a deep discount and different phone numbers. I called the numbers and was told that the technicians were still "in training" and would be available in two weeks. What can I do to get my business name off that website? I have a ficticious business name and DBA for tax purposes but am a sole proprietor.

Thanks.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Had a customer tell me today that when she did a Yahoo search on my business, a website came up with my business name.com. I typed it in and it was a website that had specials and services similar to what I offer at a deep discount and different phone numbers. I called the numbers and was told that the technicians were still "in training" and would be available in two weeks. What can I do to get my business name off that website? I have a ficticious business name and DBA for tax purposes but am a sole proprietor.

Thanks.
Depending on where that person is, it may not be illegal or improper. The DBA is a ficticious name ~ you can't own something that is not real.

JETX

bigcat1967

Sounds Like...

Are you saying someone hijacked your site? Or are you saying that your website URL appears on a different site? If it's the latter - there's nothing you can do about it - if it's the former, you can take legal steps against them.

tracydixie

I'm saying that this website is using my business name and advertising services identical to mine with a different phone number. So if a customer searches for my company on Yahoo, this website will come up. I do not have a website.

HomeGuru

I'm saying that this website is using my business name and advertising services identical to mine with a different phone number. So if a customer searches for my company on Yahoo, this website will come up. I do not have a website.
**A: do you have that business name registered to you as a domain name?

JETX

Okay, let's try this ONE more time....

You might have your business, named 'TracieDixie Nick-Nacks' and have that name properly registered as a d/b/a (or even corporation) in your little podunk town.... but that does NOT prevent someone else from using that exact same name for THEIR business on the internet... or in THEIR podunk town... which may be located in the next county.... the next state or even another country.

Unless you OWN the domain name that they are using.... or have LOTS of assets to try to force them from using the name that you can PROVE you should have the rights to... you have NO claim against them.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">