• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STM5501

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi live in NC but the deceased lived in NY.

I have a question I just found out someone in my life passed away and placed me as beneficiary. What I don't understand is the letter I received. Please excuse me because I am very overwelmed with emotions I really miss him.

The letter I received said notice of probate the home has been offered for probate in Surrogate Court there is a proponent of the will and then it list the address of him and then it list in section 4 the beneficiaries.

What does all this mean? I am really confused.

Thanks for anyone who responds.

anteater

Probate is the legal process during which:

1) a will, if the deceased had a will, is adjudged to be legally valid;
2) someone is appointed to administer the deceased's estate;
3) the deceased's legitimate debts are satisfied;
4) the remaining assets are distributed under the terms of the will (or under the state's intestate succession law if there is no will)

In New York, the Surrogate's Court handles probate cases.

Since you are apparently a beneficiary named in the will, you are receiving notice that someone (the proponent) has submitted the will to the court in order to begin the probate process and, probably, requested appointment by the court to administer the estate.

The notice gives any interested parties the opportunity and time to contest the will and/or the appointment of the administrator, if any of those parties wishes to.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">