• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Possession/ First Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cates88

Tennessee

Hi

I was charged with simple possession of marijuana in Muary Co. TN. This is my first offense and i have no clue what the outcome will be. I don't have a lawyer and cant afford one.I probably going to get a public defender and apply for the pre trial diversion program. I have no clue what i need to do, or how to do it.I told the cops i had it btw. I have court on Wed of next week so a fast response would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

MC

hi
Your first hearing will be an arraignment where the judge reads your charges and asks for your plea. I would plead not guilty and ask for an attorney. the court will go through whatever financial stuff it needs to appoint an attorney (normally a judge just asks a few financial questions). If you plea not guilty the judge will set a new court date.

Alternatively, the DA will probably offer you something (diversion program or whatever - note I know nothing of your states laws) to just plead guilty at arraignment. Some people like to do that just to get everything over with and not have to have another court date. I would never suggest that as people plea and dont get the benefits of at least a little legal assistance guidance, but that will likely be an option for you.

Cates88

Re:

If i plead not guilty, am i able to get the diversion? Im nervous though about if i do have to go to trial because i did admit to the cops that it was mine dadada.. I was told if i am convicted that ill probably get a deferred sentence and ill have to do community service and probably be put on probation for a year.. So i am a little relieved but still nervous considering my circumstances. But thanks for the reply and the valuable info. :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">