• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can charges hold despite probable cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guttergirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was arrested driving in a stolen vehicle a Jeep. In the Jeep, some drugs were found. I was charged with theft of the Jeep, as well as for the drugs. I didn't steal the Jeep, and the owner is going to go to the police and inform them that he had actually sold it to me, but was so drunk he didn't remember. My question is can they still hold the drug charges on me if the Jeep was legally sold to me?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was arrested driving in a stolen vehicle a Jeep. In the Jeep, some drugs were found. I was charged with theft of the Jeep, as well as for the drugs. I didn't steal the Jeep, and the owner is going to go to the police and inform them that he had actually sold it to me, but was so drunk he didn't remember. My question is can they still hold the drug charges on me if the Jeep was legally sold to me?[/QUOTE]

Yep:cool::cool:

CdwJava

Yes, they can charge you for the drugs. The police stopped you because they had a legitimate reason to believe the vehicle was stolen. As a consequence of that stop they found drugs.

Your drunk friend may face charges for making a false police report, and it is likely the police are going to be skeptical in all of this and may wonder if drugs and money owed might not be a part of the whole affair.

You should consult legal counsel ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">