• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of this Non Profit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jalexbivin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

This is going to be fairly long and drawn out, so bear with me. This all started when a friend and I were talking about the US Military forces here stateside.We came to the conclusion that the country would be in trouble if we were ever invaded by a sizable military force. The reasons we came to this conclusion aren't really important, so I won't go into detail about that here. As we talked, we came on the subject of militia as a legitimate line of defense for the citizens of the US. Of course, to be truly effective though, it would have to be highly organized and nation wide. This, in and of itself, might be illegal, not sure. I am not even sure where to look to see if it were. Either way, talking further, we decided that if anything were to exist in that capacity, it would have to have a very clear mission, and that would be to protect the people and their property.Nothing more, nothing less. Militia has always been associated with extremists though, so it would be important to be completely clear as to the mission of such an entity. We said our goodbyes for the night, but the idea stuck in my head. Then I thought a bit more, and came up with something a bit more feasible. If a group existed thats sole mission was to protect private citizens and their property, then we would have to protect EVERY aspect. This would include natural disaster relief, crime (to an extent, they would have to work with law enforcement here, like private security), maybe even to go so far as to provide legal and financial help. So, the biggest question I have, is it legal to build such a company, make it a non-profit organization and charge a small fee to members to join, and still have "combatants"? People that would train in force on force tactics? I know, even with the long explanation, that there are a few holes here, and please feel free to contact me privatively if you wish to fill in those holes. If you can't see my email address, it is [email protected]. Thank you all for your time.

racer72

You are seriously underestimating the power of the US in protecting our shores. Only about 20% of the active military personel are overseas at this time, the other 80% are right here in the US. There are many more Army battalions assigned to protect US soil than those in Iraq and Afghanistan. The National Guard and ready reserve system has hundreds of thousands of folks ready to go at any momemt. Plus add that the US contains over 75% of the nuclear arsenal on this planet and enough other weaponry to wipe out any other country in minutes, it is highly unlikey any other country would consider an attempt to attack the US militarily.

tranquility

First, your premise is silly. While fun in the movies, there is no way any country or group of countries can successfully invade the United States. The staging would clearly be picked up long before any men or material were ready for transfer. As the generals say, amateurs speak of strategy and tactics, professionals speak of logistics. One ballistic submarine can really mess up any country's supply lines.

Protecting the lives and property of private citizens is really a rallying cry against the government--not foreign governments. Still, absent specific violations of law within the organization, such a militia is not per se illegal.

A good chart on the types of non-profit organizations allowed can be found at:

Types of Tax-Exempt Organizations

I'm sure you could fit such a plan into one of the categories. Perhaps education? But, no matter. You should be aware the powers that be will be looking at whatever you do very closely and will react with the full force of the government if you don't precisely follow the jot and tittle of the law. If you get to any real size, informants inside your organization will be recruited and technological means will be used to observe the organization.

It would be wise to factor in large attorney fees into your "business" plan. It is imperative you run your plan by attorneys who specialize in defending militias from government interference before you do ANYTHING. (Defending a charge of conspiracy can be expensive--especially before you get any cash flow from donations.) I don't know where you could find such an expert, but I bet there are advertisements in magazines like Solder of Fortune (Does that still exist?) and the like.

Last edited:

jalexbivin

thanks for the reply

Where did you get your information? Not trying to be snippy or anything, would seriously like to confirm that.

Thanks

tranquility

Read the newspaper.

Go online and research the government reports on home-grown terrorists and the recommendations. Look to the prosecution of the fairly small militia for conspiracy in the news lately. (And, look to the holdings so far by the judge on how specious the case seems to be and how the government got their information.)

Where did I get my information? I pay attention.

tranquility

Maybe you can put on national competitions for the local cells on military sporting-type events. You then control the interaction by competition rules.

jalexbivin

Information

Actually, that post was directed at racer72, your post slipped in as i was typing apparently. I do like your suggestion on competition though. It would be a fun thing to do as an outside interest. Especially to gauge the usefulness of militia. The problem with militia is the right wing crack pots out there that have made a bad name for it. Honestly, a good militia should be in support of the government and help to alleviate the stress of securing borders...just my humble opinion.

swalsh411

Do you know many tens of millions of US households own guns? And not just Grandpa's hunting rife either. An invasion and occupation of the US would never succeed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">