• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ivan204

Today I noticed the estate of my late grandmother was officially discharged on 5/19/10. I never received a petition for final distribution or a waiver to sign. In fact, I have never received any correspondence from my father (the personal representative of the estate) or the lawyer, even though I named as a beneficiary in the will. Is it always required to notify beneficiaries when to expect an inheritance, or any other information regarding the estate? Thank you

Willnysc

My expertise is with NYS law, but many states operate in a similar fashion. After probate of a will, the executor should wait for 7 months before distribution of any of the assets. That is the time creditors have to file a claim with the fiduciary. After that point the fiduciary can distribute, without the risk of being personally liable for the estates debts. After the fiduciary has distributed the assets he may do an informal closing. If you believe there was sufficient assets to pay your bequests, in NYS you can file a compulsary accounting in the court. That is a proceeding where the fiduciary has to account for the estate assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">