• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being taken advantage of by used car dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shan21

in 1999 i was in a bind when the car i was buying from a buy here pay here in indiana blew up. i had to have a car and had no spare money at the time, so i went back to them. they did let me pick another car and they added the balance i still owed (2000.00)to the new car. 8 mo after getting the car i had to move back home to alaska for housing and family reasons. there was no way i could take the car with me and drive by myself with two small children so i gave the car back. when i gave them the car i left them with my new address and phone# in alaska. i also called them to make sure they had all the right information and to see what to do next. they told me that untill the car resold they could do nothing. so i waited. a year later i got a letter saying i was being sued for almost $4000.00. i asked them to provide me with how much the car resold for,how much was credited to my account for the cancelation of warrenties and insurences, and the amount credited for payments made, so that i could see how they came up with this amount. they provided me with none of this but they did get a judgement against me in small claims court becouse i couldn't voice my side from alaska. can i still fight it? are they obligated to provid me with the information i asked for? if i don't pay can they garish my wages or take property from me? i would appricate any advice i can get i can't afford a lawyer and i'm not sure what if anything i can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">