• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I create an S corp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dr.Ellsworth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I am currently a W2 employee. I would like to get a loan for a start-up clinic. My loan officer stated that I would benefit from forming an S corp so as to look better in the eyes of the bank. Should I form the S corp and send my W2 earnings through the corporation? Wouldn't I be taxed twice from the W2 and the corporate tax? Finally, could I just have the S corp formed and not have any income going through the corp?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

FlyingRon

Nope, the whole idea of the S-corp election is that the corporate profits are passed down to the shareholder without taxation at the corporate level.
Whether having any sort of corporation would improve your relationship with the bank, is really up to them. They probably still will want some sort of personal guarantee with an "asset-less" corporation.

tranquility

You cannot "send" W-2 wages through an S-corp.

As to the rest, I could go on and on. Give us some facts about the situation and maybe a more precise answer can be had.

Dr.Ellsworth

Thank you both. I have an appointment set for Monday to talk to the banker and try to figure something else out.

I just wanted to get some of the tasks taken care of before I relinquish my position with my employer.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">