• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to miss up comming court hearing for Custody. Need advise ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Staci L

after 10 years with my husband i had to go into a domestic violence shelter after he beat me. but even though this was his third violent attack on me the are dropping the charges calling it mutual combat cuz i hit him back once. his drug buddies were there and lied for him. but they did charge him on a violation of probation and he also has a pending d.u.i., along with a long criminal back ground of drugs and violence.
while in the domestic violence shelter i went to court requesting a hearing date for a restaining order and sole custody of our girls. at that time he was in jail, so i felt safe. now he was bailed out before his court date on 4/12/01. so i left that shelter and went to another one in washington close to my dad. for several reasons - i had no other family left after my mom died in dec 2000, and i felt in fear of him and his family, so to be closer to a supporting family i left state before my court date on 4/10 for the restraining order and custody. now i cant afford to fly back right now until i get a job, so i want to request for it to be taken off calendar for that day and request a post ponment.
what will happen if i dont show up in court, cuz he will be ther with an attorney and his family to fight me on custody?
how do i notify the court in time on tues morning?
will this look bad if i dont show up?
will he be able to prosecute me for kidnapping ?

J

JoanneFromNJ1975

Hope this helps

I know that if "you" are going for custody you can literally lose if you do not show up. my advice would be for you to call the court and tell them of your situation on how you cannot make it. they will reschedule it for you. this guy sounds messed up and you should look into getting free legal care. there are lawyers that work a certain amount of hours for free to make their demanded amount of hours and this will be of a service to benefit you and many others.

I hope you make out ok.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">