• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cb09

michigan

I was riding home with a couple of my friends after a party where i had been drinking. i was not driving. we were pulled over and after my friends were questioned the officer asked if i had been drinking and i told him i had a few drinks earlier. the officers searched the car and we did not have any alcohol but my other friends admitted to being high and the driver was arrested and my other friend told the officer he had marijuana on him and received a possession of marijuana charge. i was then told to blow in the pbt (0.090%) and i received a minor in possession ticket. i'm 19 years old and this is my first offense. i was not told to go into court but to call the court house, but i'm confused as to how this works. will i just be charged with a fine or will i have to go to court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

guylight

Don't get too excited for an answer, I just know that waiting for one sucks so I'll share some of what I know.

I am almost positive you will have to go to court. But it could be different in your area. I'm not a lawyer but through my research thats what I've seen. Especially in Michigan. Where'd you get this? I'm from MI also. I have a lot of friends that have gotten MIP's with similar situations and gotten short probation and/or nothing.

In other states and areas I've seen classes you can take for cheap and receive nothing on your record. Hopefully you live in an area with less strict policy than most of michigan. If all else fails I'll see you at probation hahaha.

Oh also the friend who admitted to being high I believe could've received nothing if he wasn't the one in possession of it. I've always heard and seen instances that as long as all the marijuana is gone you're free.

JETX

i was not told to go into court but to call the court house, but i'm confused as to how this works. will i just be charged with a fine or will i have to go to court?
We don't know who told you that you won't have to go to court, but it is clear that you are way over your head. This is NOT a simple matter like a traffic ticket. You will need an attorney. Start looking for one NOW. As the police told you (and you have heard on every 'cop show'), if you can't afford an attorney, show up at your first court appearance and ask the court to appoint one. They will then ask you LOTS of financial questions to confirm your ability to pay.... and if not, then the court will appoint an attorney for you.

Do NOT play with this charge. You could be looking at a life-changing point here.

Here is a link to the MCL (statute):
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(2m2dsz55lzer2fqshlizgnms))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-436-1703

For more:
http://www.minorinpossession.net/

Last edited:
other than going to see a lawyer now..

You'll probably need to appear. Reading that statute (if that is what you were cited for).. looks like a fine + poss program is you your max.

If/when you appear the judge will read your charges. The judge will tell you the potential sentence and/or the DA will make you an offer you probably wont refuse.

If you are not sure or things arent going the way you want, you can plead not guilty and/or ask the judge for a continuance so you can get legal advice. This is standard, so feel comfortable doing that. If its a misdemeanor you will be entitled to an attorney (if you cant afford one), you can ask the judge at arraignment.

A main thing would be making sure I knew when and was at my court date and then I would make decisions.

Since it looks like you all freely and willing talked yourself into the court system when it might have been avoided, you might take some time and view this video

YouTube - BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">