• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Digitized Education Entertainment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gamingguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Well hello - I always like it when I have to come ask questions in this forum, the snappy (sometimes mean) and witty responses from you guys/gals are typically great.

Okay - So this time I have a business question, I'm starting up my own business, LLC.

---

My question, however, deals with my product. I am selling education, training, for an online video game (Starcraft II).

Starcraft is a 'brand' of game from Blizzard Activision (ATVI).

It just dawned on me....today, that my domain name, and proposed name for my website "StarcraftCollege.com" is probably illegal (Copy write and/or Trademark Infringement).

Is that true? Am I liable? The website would sell education on how to play the game, but I am not affiliated with Blizzard in anyway.

---

My second question is...From a purely opinionated perspective - how good, how often and how credible is this forum for legal (Business advice)? I know that 'nothing is official'...But I seriously have almost zero liquid capital so i doubt I could afford a lawyer to help with my business.

gamingguy

I asked around to some other people with more astute knowledge than I and have received a sufficient response that it would for sure not be a good idea to use the name in my domain name and/or website name.

Thanks for nothing - but nothing ended up being needed.

Hot Topic

If you can't afford a lawyer, how can you afford to run a business?

Why would anyone pay you to learn how to play the game?

Glad that your friends had some sense because you obviously don't if you thought you could not only rip off the company's name, you could make money off their work.

gamingguy

Wow - you certainly have a bug up your ass don't you?

Uhh, it's called being young, having peers that are also young, whom are hungry to work...and running a website. Driving start-up costs down.

Gosh you're such a dip-stick ... Obviously I had the sense to question a decision i made, do you naturally know everything? Good job trolling a thread.

Its pretty pathetic that you, and some others on this forum, are so negative and condescending.

Well good job HOTTOPIC, you got a rise out of me, and make me disgusted that adults like yourself have access to the Internet - I'm sorry that your mid-life crisis makes you so bitter.

BTW -- Running a website is extremely cheap - and under my business model of advertising and expenses, including the demographic of the market place I want to get into; it is really cheap.

Maybe instead of being a taunting prick you could say "Hiring a lawyer costs around $X,XXX per year - you need to work that into your equation" and "Using that name, while not illegal does open you to a lawsuit if Blizzard Inc wanted to pursue it" -- What is wrong with responding with genuineness?

People pay tennis coaches, personal trainers, yoga instructors, martial arts instructors, programming tutors, chess coaches -- all the time to enhance their hobbies and their skill at it. Playing a game online, while not currently main stream, is no different.

Are you American? I really hope not, cause if you are - your response is even worse. I'm going to be paying for you and your medical bills you twat, so if I were you - I'd treat the younger generation with a higher level of respect and help impart them with the wisdom they need to succeed.

Now bring on the jabs HOTTOPIC - I expected more intellect from a senior member of the site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">