• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son's freaking out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeyLady

So. California
My son who has a medical card for Marijuana, He is 18 got a ticket for having it in his pocket, We had just left the shop and while we were there in the San Fernando valley I like to do my laundry at this special Laundry matt there, Because we live in Palmdale right now and anyone who knows Palmdale knows how bad they crime is here. Anyway when we were at the Laundry place my son saw some friends he knows from Granada that's where we lived before moving to Palmdale just 6 months ago, and that's when the cops stopped them
They gave him a ticket for less then an oz, The thing we are worried about is there was also small amount of water based hash in the bag also but the cop did not note that. Is this something we should be worried about and what to do?
Thanks in advance
Lady

CdwJava

So. California
My son who has a medical card for Marijuana, He is 18 got a ticket for having it in his pocket, We had just left the shop and while we were there in the San Fernando valley I like to do my laundry at this special Laundry matt there, Because we live in Palmdale right now and anyone who knows Palmdale knows how bad they crime is here. Anyway when we were at the Laundry place my son saw some friends he knows from Granada that's where we lived before moving to Palmdale just 6 months ago, and that's when the cops stopped them
They gave him a ticket for less then an oz, The thing we are worried about is there was also small amount of water based hash in the bag also but the cop did not note that. Is this something we should be worried about and what to do?
Thanks in advance
Lady
If the police seized the hash and they have it tested, it might make for another charge ... maybe ... but for now, all he has to deal with is the charge on the citation.

And I suspect that what he has is not a DHS card permitting marijuana for medical purposes, but instead a "recommendation" from a doctor. The difference is that the former (the state issued DHS card, and available through most county health departments) would effectively permit him to possess small amounts of marijuana. The latter - the recommendation - allows for an affirmative defense, but does not necessarily require an officer to let him go on his way when possessing personal use amounts.

An option is to have him write a brief letter to the district attroney, include a copy of the citation and his 215 recommendation and sign it under "I declare under penalty of purjury the forgoing is true" and mail it and fax it to the DA. Keep a copy.

The DA will likely not want to waste any more time on this and will just drop it.

If he does have to appear, he should take his rec and ask to have it dropped.

If after all that, they still insist on wasting police and judiciary and county and state time and money...he can plead not guilty and ask for a lawyer and proceed to a more formal affirmative defense.

By case law, he can informally request a dismissal at arraignment and that is typically the quickest and easiest routes and I anticipate that they actually do not want to waste more time and energy on this.

Your son is good to go, tell him to stop freaking out. Cops dont like 18 y/os with 215 recs which is probably why he pressed it. Have him go get his NONMANDATORY state card to mitigate the police harrassment if he wants.

HeyLady

Great info and I thank you very much can you please tell me how do I go about contacting the DA.
Thank you again

HomeGuru

So. California
Thanks in advance
Lady

**A: yes and now I am worried about you too.

CdwJava

I suppose you could put it into context and understand that there are traffic offenses that hold greater penalties than a possession of marijuana conviction. Plus, it is - oddly enough - the ONLY crime in CA that is automatically purged after two years. Why it has been granted such a special place in state law is a mystery that has eluded me.

I suppose you could put it into context and understand that there are traffic offenses that hold greater penalties than a possession of marijuana conviction. Plus, it is - oddly enough - the ONLY crime in CA that is automatically purged after two years. Why it has been granted such a special place in state law is a mystery that has eluded me.
yep, a speeding tickets is worse in effect than a conviction of this (if you are over 21)

OP, look up your DA in your phone book for your area and call them. Ask for their address and fax number. The goal is to let their investigators know he is a legal patient. They dont want to waste theirs and the courts time on this. They want the rec if hes legit.

Just relax, this really is no big deal. It will go away.

cyjeff

So what was the medical necessity of the hash?

What a proud mommy you must be... a day with your son at the weed store, then a little laundry...

Ah, these are the days to remember....

HomeGuru

So what was the medical necessity of the hash?

What a proud mommy you must be... a day with your son at the weed store, then a little laundry...

Ah, these are the days to remember....
**A: do they still use th ose Zig Zag rolling papers? Yup, roll me a doobie man.

Obviously, as a medical cannabis patient he is exempt from 11357a and is allowed to medicate with, possess, cultivate and participate in collective and cooperative activities in regards to marijuana AND hash.

Even though we are discussing an adult, concerning medicinal use by the young -Google: Marie Myung-Ok Lee as one of the brave ones to publish her treatment of her 9 year old autistic son. The remarkable positive effects of marijuana and autistics has become well documented now.

Its medicine..so get over it. It has been medicine for all of recorded time.

What's her Adult son's medical condition?

In a day when parents freely drug their children with their daily morning amphetamines prior to going to school... after the parent takes a sleeping pill, then a wake up pill, then a happy pill, after drinking themselves to sleep... does it REALLY matter? Marijuana is much safer than amphetimines and any of those other wonderful prescriptions you all love so much.

So whats the issue?

Reefer madness?

Really? Still? in 2010?

Last edited:

CdwJava

Our local DA pursues a good number of these possession cases. So far, in the 9 years I have been here, he has a ZERO percent compliance with requests to medical providers for affirmation that a recommendation has actually been issued. Since most such recommendations look like they have been printed from a home computer, it is nearly impossible to identify what is "real" and what might be homemade. We encourage "patients" to obtain the DHS card in order to avoid further law enforcement problems, but, for some reason they do not get the cards and they claim the doctors providing the recommendations discourage them from doing so. Go figure.

Reports and citations for possession of marijuana are rarely worth the effort. Most officers I know curse under their breath when they find pot on someone because they have to write it up and they know it is no big thing under the law, but they still have to seize the contraband and write it all up. In some agencies, they have to write TWO reports when marijuana is found in conjunction with some other crime (one for the marijuana alone as that one will be purged in 2 years, and the other for the other offense which will not seek to pursue the marijuana charge even if it mentions the discovery of marijuana).

What happens wil vary a great deal by county, but by and large this is a big whopping nothing. In fact, when I was in San Diego County, minors received a greater punishment for tobacco possession than for marijuana! We used to cite them for possession of the tobacco related products when they possessed pot, papers, and pipes rather than the marijuana alone as at least with the tobacco they had to do community service back then. With the marijuana, mommy and daddy paid the fine and it was all but done most of the time.

We encourage "patients" to obtain the DHS card in order to avoid further law enforcement problems, but, for some reason they do not get the cards **************
Oh it might have to do with 70+ years of our government waging war on its citezenry peaking now to the tune of hundreds of billions of our tax dollars and over 800,000 arrests per year...

No matter how ineffective, futile, and impotent the governments efforts have been (except for very effective taking rights that Americans used to hold dear)... its still responsible for a little .. extra...

paranoia.

:D

And I'm glad you have to write two reports! One to get shredded and one that doesnt mention marijuana. Serves you right ;)

11361.5 is an awesome law. ;)

Last edited:
Cannabis Oils, salves, and concentrates have always been medicinally used.

Concentrated cannabis is still cannabis and its used for the same purposes as cannabis. People, depending on their conditions, may use edibles or oils, some end stage cancer patients can benefit from putting hash into a vaporizer as It is a concentrate. Everyone may, with their assistance of their doctors or other knowledgeable experts, try various strains and combination to find what is most therapeutic for their conditions.

Similar to these extracts:
http://antiquecannabisbook.com/images/cannabis_extract_1.jpg

CdwJava

<sigh>

I think this thread has been beaten down by now. As this is NOT the place to debate the merits of marijuana or the laws concerning that substance, I think we are done here. At least I am.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">