• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to Get an Appartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B-ry

I am currently trying to get an apartment for the first time after being convicted of misdemeanor possession of 2-5 lbs of Marijuana with attempt to deliver and possession of a controlled substance. The apartment contract clearly states that any conviction of a felony or a misdemeanor involving illegal manufacturing and distribution of an illegal or controlled substance will be automatically declined.

Is having attempt to deliver the same as illegal distribution in the eyes of Texas law?

Being that the apartment manager knew the terms but told me she thinks she can fight for me and get me approved, it seems like she was just trying to get our application fee.

FlyingRon

Delivery and distribution are close enough to the mean the same thing. Further, they don't even need to split hairs on the definition. If they don't want our drug dealing business causing them potential financial and legal liability, they are free to deny your application.

B-ry

So Attempt does not imply that I was not proven to have distributed?

I hate that I am now always going to be seen as a Drug dealer even though I have not seen or touched a drug in nearly 4 yrs.

FlyingRon

So Attempt does not imply that I was not proven to have distributed?

I hate that I am now always going to be seen as a Drug dealer even though I have not seen or touched a drug in nearly 4 yrs.
Like I said, it doesn't matter if you did or not, or if you still do.
They're free to turn you down for the criminal record or anything else short of the protected classes of race, national origin, religion, etc...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">