• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a minor request a portion of a settlement before reaching age of majority?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nurse2Be

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My daughter was awarded an accident settlement ($10-15k range) last year. She won't be 18 until February 2011. She wants to take a portion of the settlement now to buy a used car for herself (she wants to buy a more expensive car than her father and I are willing to purchase).

Is it possible for her (via our attorney) to submit a request to receive a portion of the settlement prior to reaching the age of 18?

Thanks.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My daughter was awarded an accident settlement ($10-15k range) last year. She won't be 18 until February 2011. She wants to take a portion of the settlement now to buy a used car for herself (she wants to buy a more expensive car than her father and I are willing to purchase).

Is it possible for her (via our attorney) to submit a request to receive a portion of the settlement prior to reaching the age of 18?

Thanks.
What did your attorney say when you asked him?

Nurse2Be

His office was closed for the day when my daughter asked me about this.

Nevermind. I'm calling him tomorrow anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">