• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice! :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cadetglow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

my husband recently got to spend his first night in jail (dui, possession of a controlled substance 3rd degree, no insurance, no seat belt). he was caught with 7 xanax pills in his pocket, failed sobriety tests, took a blood test and they found narcotics and xanax in his system. great. so we go to his therapist the next morning (he only recently started going back, in the past he was diagnosed as being bipolar), and they had him shipped off to the nearest psychiatric ward in the neighboring county.

what do you think could possibly happen? seems as if the only thing that is working on his side is the fact that he has a clean criminal record. will him being in the psych ward detoxing and getting treatment help him in any way? or the fact that we have children together and depend solely on his income? we also have another baby due in september.

he was released from jail on his own recognizance. i sure wasn't getting him out.

can anyone give me any advice? :(

Hot Topic

Your husband didn't voluntarily admit himself for help. "They" had him "shipped off" to the nearest psychiatric ward.

Why would having children count for anything? Why would your pregnancy count for anything? Why would your counting on his income mean anything? He sure wasn't worried about what effect being arrested would have on you, his children or the baby you're expecting.

Whatever he gets, he deserves. Hire a good lawyer.

He is probably being evaluated for this fitness to stand trial on motion of his attorney and if he is not fit (such as being able to participate in his defense and understand the charges), they'll probably suspend proceedings until he is ready .. and if he is ready, they'll continue with the proceedings.

While I'm not familiar with your states laws, these types of things are generally fairly standard when someone is obviously all screwed up. Hopefully it all works out and he gets the help he needs. Good luck.

The things you mentioned _can_ (not must, jails are full of people with families) be mitigating factors in what type of sentence to impose... its not going to affect whether they proceed against him.

Last edited:

cadetglow

well, when i said "they" had him "shipped off," i meant WE went to his therapist, and we talked to him about what was going on, the therapist made suggestions and we chose the treatment he could get into soonest - which was going into the psych ward. i drove him to this place, and i dropped him off. HE signed himself in when he could've ran.

we also don't have an attorney. he hasn't attained a court appointed one yet, and we can't afford a "good" one.

well going to yap a therapist is a helluva lot different than "they had him shipped off to a psych ward" - that is a very specific proceeding that they dont just randomly do with a even a spectacular DUI.. that would have indicated real issues. Good luck anyway though.

cadetglow

wow! i came here to get some sort of answers and you people treat ME like i am common trash! nobody has even given me a remote idea as to what could possibly happen to him, and i am wanting to know so that i can have some sort of a backup plan for the children and myself. thanks a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">