• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maharra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Recently my company decided to close/sell it's in-house laboratory. After a couple of failed attempts to sell the laboratory and a dispute b/t companies president/owner and vice president they decided to down-size the lab. The president wanted to keep the lab and the VP wanted to close it. That said, three of the six laboratory employees where to be laid off. During this process, they interviewed all six employees to see who would best fill the three remaining positions. While I was being interviewed the VP questioned me about my health (two brain lesions were recently discovered during a routine eye exam) and about my relationship with another employee in the company, same sex relationship. I did not answer his questions and thought they were incrediblly out of line. Am I wrong here to think so? I've been toying around with the idea of reporting this company to the DOL.

Maharra

I did not get one of the positions, although I was more than qualified. On a side note, the VP also questioned another employee about her pregnancy during this time....

swalsh411

It is not illegal for your employer to question you about health issues that may potentially effect your job performance and it is not illegal for your employer to question you about your relationship with another employee, same sex or otherwise. Now NH may or may not have specific protection against discrimination based on sexual orientation (can't look that up at the moment) but even if they did you would have to prove that you were not given the job for that reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">