• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why Need to Probate and Letter of Testementary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

muffy

Why Need to Probate and Letter of Testamentary?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
FL
My father passed away leaving a Will. The Will states everything (very small estate) goes to his wife. In addition, everything was in joint with right of surviorship. I have been named Personal Representative. One problem, he owns a parcel of land with minerals in OK not mentioned in Will even though the taxes are continued to be paid on it. All in FL has been paid or continues to be paid as normal..utilities, mortgage, etc. SS/IRS contacted. Why, in FL, order Will to Probate (since it's costing me $2,400 plus/time(6 months) (everything is clear:widow gets everything), and letters of testamentary drawn (my father named me Personal Rep), when Ancilliary Probate will have to commence in OK (which will cost me more)? What's a Will for if there is any doubt?
Thanks

Last edited:

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
FL
My father passed away leaving a Will. The Will states everything (very small estate) goes to his wife. In addition, everything was in joint with right of surviorship. I have been named Personal Representative. One problem, he owns a parcel of land with minerals in OK not mentioned in Will even though the taxes are continued to be paid on it. All in FL has been paid or continues to be paid as normal..utilities, mortgage, etc. SS/IRS contacted. Why, in FL, order Will to Probate (since it's costing me $2,400 plus/time(6 months) (everything is clear:widow gets everything), and letters of testamentary drawn (my father named me Personal Rep), when Ancilliary Probate will have to commence in OK (which will cost me more)? What's a Will for if there is any doubt?
Thanks
Basically:

The will expresses the wishes of the decedant.

The probate process is the legal mechanism to allow the wishes of the decedant to be processed. The testamentary letters grants the given party the legal authority to act on behalf of the estate to carry on the wishes of the decedant. The PR also has a responsibility to make sure the creditors are provided for, in accordance with state probate law..

muffy

Thank you for your reply.
There are no outstanding debts, no heirs, and no contestants therefore there is nothing for me to payout or distribute in FL.
The FL Will may need to go through some type of simple procedure to close in order to use it for an Ancillary Probate in OK. This state has to have the Probated Will from FL in order to transfer the deed from my father to his wife.
After speaking to three attorneys, all three fees were preposterous. The $2,400 plus $175.00 per hour was the most frugal. I understand paying the fees of the court and etc which are reasonable but the attorney's fees should be fair not exorbitant. I have a degree from a prominent university. To earn this degree there were countless of hours expended not to mention the apprenticeship time after graduation. School loans need to be paid however I don't believe in taking advantage of those who need my expertise to justify my accolades.

Last edited:

Kiawah

If you are so sure it's not going to take many hours, why don't you hire the lawyer on a per hour basis?

I'm doing that now, for my MIL, who lived out of state.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">