• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not hired due to not having a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SJP1983

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I recently went to a establishment searching for bus drivers. Did the application and the interview with the manager. The manager explained to me that there are different shifts and I have to be there if I work that shift (Mornings, Afternoons, or evenings.) He asked if I have reliable transportation, which I said no. He said that he needs people to be here on time, and I assured him that I will be on time since I worked for a previous company doing the same job and took mass transportation to and from work at any time of the day and the week. The manager refused to hire me 3 weeks later (Which i found out today) because I do not have a car or reliable transportation. Yet, at that same place, there are part and full time drivers that take mass transportation to and from work, going places farther than where I live. Is this discrimination and if so, can I do something about it?

Country Living

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I recently went to a establishment searching for bus drivers. Did the application and the interview with the manager. The manager explained to me that there are different shifts and I have to be there if I work that shift (Mornings, Afternoons, or evenings.) He asked if I have reliable transportation, which I said no. He said that he needs people to be here on time, and I assured him that I will be on time since I worked for a previous company doing the same job and took mass transportation to and from work at any time of the day and the week. The manager refused to hire me 3 weeks later (Which i found out today) because I do not have a car or reliable transportation. Yet, at that same place, there are part and full time drivers that take mass transportation to and from work, going places farther than where I live. Is this discrimination and if so, can I do something about it?
You told him you did not have reliable transportation. Anything you said after that is moot.

pattytx

Of course it's not illegal discrimination. They didn't ask if you had a car, they asked you if you had reliable transportation. Why would they consider you further if they couldn't count on you to be there when you needed to be?

Last edited:

Betty

Agree. They asked if you had reliable transportation & you answered "no." There is your problem.

Alex23

It's ironic, though, that you're applying to be a bus driver, but they don't want you to take the bus to work.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's ironic, though, that you're applying to be a bus driver, but they don't want you to take the bus to work.
Where did you get that from? The company didn't make ANY inquiry about his chosen mode of transportation:
He asked if I have reliable transportation, which I said no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">