• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iwishiknew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota. I need help asap! I don't have money to hire an attorney. We were suppose to have become beneficieraries of my dad's estate. We did a compromise of controversies and everyone of interest signed except for us kids. Now my aunt wants to change everything to go to her and she can decide how everything gets distributed. It wasn't even a total of a week that we had to get into the office to sign the papers. Now she wants to change it for whatever reasons. Is the papers legal?

anteater

Is the papers legal?
What papers?

You might get some responses if you explain the situation. For example...

Was there a will?
Was probate opened?
Was an estate personal representative appointed? Was it the aunt you mention?
What controversies? And what was the resolution?
How old are you and the other kids?

Kiawah

You might want to go to the County Probate Office of where your dad died, and get a copy of any documents that have been filed so far. That might help you figure out what is going on. You can get a copy of the will, and anything else that has been filed.

Dandy Don

A compromise of controversies indicates that the financial interest of a disabled person is involved. Does the disabled person have a guardian ad litem that was involved in the matter? If you know how much you are supposed to receive then you don't need to worry about paying legal fees if you tell the attorney that you are considering hiring that you will be able to pay the fee in the future when you get what you are entitled to from the estate. Start talking to family law attorneys and/or probate attorneys and ask them if they can tell you what a compromise of controversies is, and if they can tell you, hire them to help you straighten this mess out. It is not a do-it-yourself project. The aunt is possibly trying to commit illegal actions and she needs to be stopped by someone who knows the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">