• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questining

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spud13

i live in illinois

if i was taken into the station as a minor and questioned without the reading of any miranda rights and i was not aware of any such thing and thought that i was obligated to answer can what i said be dismissed because i did not have any attorney parent or advisor there or what can i do with this information in my case does the police officer HAVE to read those right before questiong me

calatty

The police have to read you your rights if you are in custody and you are being questioned, which it sounds like you were. Your attorney would therefore consider moving to suppress whatever you said, assuming it was incriminating. The police might claim they did read you your rights even if they didn't.

B

bird1

If you were being questioned as a witness and not thought to be a suspect they do not have to read you the Miranda warnings,but most do anyway even for voluntary statements.
The second you become the scope of the investigation, all questioning must cease until you have been advised of your rights and have waived them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">