• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A bit confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fowler100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL.
My father bought our home in his name a year and a half ago, our credit is sadly far beyond repair at this point. He did buy the home with our money as a down payment and we currently make all payments and upkeep ect. to the home. My father was just recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and I will be left the home in the will as it is ours, but in his name, my question is after he passes and the will is executed, how does the home come to be put in my name with such poor credit???? I guess this is all kinda an eye opener for us all but, at this point I am unsure of how legally upon his death the home and remaining mortgage will be put in my name thru an inheritance. Thank you for and and all advice I would like to gather as much information as to protect our home and family.
Thank you again for your help......fowler100

anteater

You may have some problems if your father's liabilities exceed his other assets when he passes away. Creditors get paid before beneficiaries receive any bequests.

But, if that is not a problem, your father's estate is probated and the appointed personal representative executes a deed transferring ownership to you. Since you inherit the property and are a child of the deceased, the mortgage company cannot call the loan as long as you continue to make the payments.

latigo

You’ve just learned that your father is terminally ill and "this is all kinda (sic) an eye opener” spawning worries about your inheritance? Disgusting!

I hope his medical bills eat up every cent of any equity in the home.

mmmagique

You’ve just learned that your father is terminally ill and "this is all kinda (sic) an eye opener” spawning worries about your inheritance? Disgusting!

I hope his medical bills eat up every cent of any equity in the home.
I disagree. (my father died of brain cancer btw)

It's important to be upset and to be worried about losing your father, but as others point out all the time, these are not the forums for those matters. This is a legal forum.

The OP is worried about losing her house as well as her father.

OP, you need to discuss this with dad, and see if he will go with you to an attorney, to get things drawn up the way they need to be. If your father has high debts that will not be paid/offset by other things, it's doubly important.

I'm sorry about your dad, btw. :(

fowler100

Thank you anteater & mmmagique for your thoughts and advice, I truly appreciate it.
Latigo...WOW what a miserable person you must be to pass such harsh words without any knowledge besides the brief info I gave. I am not worried about any inheritance, because my father does not have much, he also has emphysema, COPD, diabetes and an abdominal aortic aneurysm and now the lung cancer, he bought our house in his name for us with OUR money, because we got crushed in the recession. I am simply worried about losing another home, but thank you for your time it took to reply I hope you feel better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">