• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irishpny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am a preschool teacher at a not for profit organization. We do not work full-time and have no union of benefits. I gave my resignation for the 2010-2011 school year recently to my employer. I had a verbal agreement to do a 6 week summer camp program at the school (I have do this for the past 10 years) and a couple of days after I was told that I could no longer do the summer camp because I was no longer on staff. As the school year that I was working is still the 2009-2010 school year and they will not allow me to work even though I was ready willing and able to can I collect unemployment for them not allowing me to work.

Thanks,
irishpny - NYWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am a preschool teacher at a not for profit organization. We do not work full-time and have no union of benefits. I gave my resignation for the 2010-2011 school year recently to my employer. I had a verbal agreement to do a 6 week summer camp program at the school (I have do this for the past 10 years) and a couple of days after I was told that I could no longer do the summer camp because I was no longer on staff. As the school year that I was working is still the 2009-2010 school year and they will not allow me to work even though I was ready willing and able to can I collect unemployment for them not allowing me to work.

Thanks,
irishpny - NYWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You resigned...

commentator

You have nothing to lose by filing for benefits. Your employer, private, not for profit, is apt to be a "reimbursing employer" which means they have to pay unemployment taxes only IF you are determined eligible, though they are not a tax paying entitly. However, since one of the requirements is that you have to be out of work through no fault of your own, they're probably not going to have to pay you unemployment because they didn't let you do the summer program, when you had already resigned for the next school year. But file a claim, certainly it costs nothing, you have nothing to lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">