• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Src_181

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Here is my question,
About 26 months ago my grandmother passed away, she had a living will. The fiduciary was the executer so they sold the property and went through the probate without any issues the executer kept the funds for 5 months before distributing the moneys. As per the will you had to be 26 years of age before you received the funds. So the grandchildren over the age 26 received their inheritance the other 3 grandchildren were supposed to have a trust in their name until 26. Now I have that I’m 26 (it’s been about 5 months) I still haven’t received my portion of the inheritance, first I contacted the lawyer that handled all the court stuff and was told by her that I need to contact the fiduciary/executer because she has done all the court stuff she needed to do. So I contact the fiduciary/executer and was told that they will contact the lawyer because all the money is controlled by the courts… So I waited 2 months (this was 3 months ago) and tried to contact the fiduciary again (by phone and emails) just to make sure everything is going ok kind of see where we are at but they won’t respond. Is this normal? Should I be worried, should I be doing something else?
I don’t want to overreact, but I don’t want to be left in the dark either. The family has been through deaths in the family and from what they have told me is the previous process was a bit more organized and they knew what was going on the whole time. Any help/advice would be very helpful.

Last edited:

JETX

First thing you need to do is to contact the probate court and get a copy of the file. That should tell you who has access to the funds.
If you still get the run-around, you may need to consider hiring your own attorney to get their 'attention'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">