• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims

• Thread starter Kevin C Raymond
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kevin C Raymond

I have a girl friend who has been summoned to appear for a pre trial conference. The reason is she was buying an auto from a private owner in CT where she resided at that time, she became ill requiring surgerying and a long recovery, during this time she would make a payment of $500.00 3 to 4 months previously she was paying $100.00 a month on the auto.
We relocated to FL she had informed him of this, he had stated he was not sure about the insurance, then because of this the car was not used and sat unused for a year in FL. He then became very hostile wanting all the money and her to pay for the insurance which did not allow her to operate the auto in FL. There was no written agreement on this transaction and he would not release the title so she could title and insure the auto in Fl so it would be of any use to her, in Sept of 2000 he had the auto repossessed, and now he is claiming she owes him $3519.00 plus $82.65 for taxes and $613.00 on insurance he disposed of the auto to a private owner for $750.00. At the time the car was towed he would not agree to anything but the full payment of the balance due. She has been unemployed since the surgery she under went in April of 1999

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, what's the problem? What's the question?

A lot of people who owe debts become ill. What's that got to do with anything? She didn't pay for the car, and she owes the money. Her illness does not constitute a "King's X" or a "time out" on debts due to illness. Her illness is none of his affair. All he knows, or cares about, is that his debt wasn't being paid.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">