• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I expect next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hvactom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My son has been arrested on the following charges and is awaiting arraignment:
11351 HS
11350(A) HS
11364 HS
4060 BP
11550(A) HS
11375(B)(2) HS

What can I expect next?

Within 2 court days he will be arraigned and at that time, presuming a not guilty plea he will be appointed counsel unless he can afford to retain his own counsel. They will then set it for a preliminary hearing (within 10 days_. Sometimes this is waived by counsel but other than that it will go on. At that hearing, what usually happens is a few of the officers testify to enough of the case for the judge to determine that there is enough of a case (probability that felon(ies) were committed and that your son did them) to hold him for trial. Defense cross examines them. If he is held, and typically they are (if there wasn't enough of a case the DA probably wouldnt have filed) then it will be set for pre trial and trial and the various pre trial activities will begin such as motions and plea bargains.

Edit to add: if the jail has skyrocketed his bail, the judge may bring it down at arraignment(theoretically he may raise it too) or counsel can try a motion later.

Last edited:

CdwJava

I see jail and extensive probation and drug treatment in his future if found guilty or if he pleads guilty. He can likely plead to some form of diversion.

I agree with CDW's tea leaf reading. The thing that needs to go away for all things to be well is the possession for sales. Thats the nasty charge on there. Then he will be led into the prop 36 (pc 1210) or diversion (pc 1000) type realm presuming he otherwise has a fairly clean record.

CdwJava

I'm assuming the sales charge can be dropped for a plea to one or more of the lesser offenses in order to get a plea to one of the treatment options. At least, that is what I usually see from these matters.

Now, if I saw two or more felony charges on there, or if this is a guy that they know is a regular dealer and this is what they finally managed to pin on him, they might not want to plea it down. (Some dope dealers live on a silver cloud - we have one in my town that is like that and it is frustrating as heck!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">