• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1 week notice of layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cschneids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I work in a private physical therapy clinic with 5 other PTs and we all signed one year contracts. The owners are a husband wife couple, she is the primary PT. Reimbursement had been decreasing and it was obvious that there was a desperate attempt to save money lately. Now, the wife claims that she has a serious medical condition and the clinic must close indefinitely, but we were assured that it would re-open. We have all been released of our contracts and have been given one week notice. They were clearly abusing medicare and medicaid ethics ,as well as, not paying us overtime and making us work 9-10 straight hours without a break, routinely. My co-workers and I are wondering what we are entitled to and what kind of legal action we would be in for, if we decided to take that route.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they were violating labor laws, you are free to contact the state DOL and report them. Likewise any medicare issues. What you may or may not receive, I cannot tell you as the crystal ball is still missing in action.

What does the one week notice have to do with this, btw? Unless WARN applies (which based on your post it does not) or your contracts SPECIFICALLY say otherwise, one week's notice is one week more than the law requires.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">