• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wal-Mart Wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lancealittle77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas. I was involved in a romantic relationship with a fellow associate. I came forward before an investegation was started, or so the store manager told mme. I told them that I would be willing to transfere and the associate would be willing to quit. The
people that conducted the investegation were also the only witnesses in the
investegation. They terminated us immediatly with no other considerations.
I have been given no previous displinary action for any reason. I was a modle employee.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
That's not a wrongful termination. They were within their legal rights to discipline you, or fire you, as they chose.

swalsh411

Were either of you married? I don't blame them at all for firing you both if that's the case since no employer wants the inevitable drama.

You should immediately file for unemployment.

Betty

Based on your post, there is no wrongful termination here. A wrongful termination is being terminated for a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you have a legally binding employment contract or CBA contrary to your termination.

File for UI benefits.

lancealittle77

What if?

What if the people were told there would be no recoarse if the second party came for an interview. What if the statments that were filed by the witnesses were false and I can prove it. What if the people conducting the investegation were the witnesses which violates company policy. What if the statments say the two went to an address that their records show as the place of residence but that is not correct. What if there is pesidence in the district that the company has made exceptions for tranfere for the same situation?
I understand that it was a violation of policy thats why I came forward and requested a transfere so there would not be a conflict of intrest on my part.

commentator

The issues that you raised might be enough to get you approved for unemployment since you were discharged. You should file immediately. But that's about the only satisfaction you can get from this situation. There's no way you'll be able to sue anyone for "wrongful discharge" or anything similar. Married or not, Kansas is an "at will 'state. They can fire you for just about any reason they want to. They did.

Beth3

Can anyone tell me why it relevant if either of us was married? One of us was.
Because that undoubtedly substantially increases the level of gossip and rumors flying around about your relationship and therefore is disruptive to the business. Whether anyone was married or not, it was not illegal to terminate both of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">