• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was wrongfully terminated in California. Need advice/Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klahi

I was employed at my salary plus commission job for a little under a year. New General Manager is hired, comes to the store, and fires me. There really honestly is not more to the story than this. Never did anything wrong whatsoever. I had a paycheck of about 15k per month. THis just happened today, I'm a bit shocked as well as furious. I will be searching for some lawyers tomorrow. If any San Francisco attorney happens to see this post, feel free to contact me. I am looking for an attorney immediately. There is a lot more icing on the cake as to what I believe his motives were (new manager cutting costs for personal wealth), but can't go into too much detail being this is a public forum.
Cheers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that there is a specific law that prohibits the employer from terming you for the reason he did. What law do you believe was violated?

HINT: Before you answer, google At-Will employment.

Reputable attorneys do not troll message boards looking for clients.

klahi

Covenant of good faith and fair dealing? Doesn't this provide enough breach for wrongful termination? I believe it is only applicable in 7 states, and california is one of them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not under the circumstances you've described. It is not uncommon for new managers to "clean house" and bring in their own people. You didn't have any covenant with HIM.

commentator

Sad to say, unemployment insurance until you find another job will be your only recourse. No legitimate claim of wrongful discharge, circumstances as you describe happens all the time in CA and all over the United States. Most people truly believe they have a lot more legal rights on the job than they do, that "they can't do this to me, can they?" The answer is, yes, they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">