• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help. Dad passed without will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crayon1995

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Hello,
My husband and I live in Michigan, and have a question, I guess it would be about probate. About 9 months ago his father passed away. Prior to this his father had quit claimed him on to his home along with himself, since we all lived together anyway, and we were maintaining the home and helping with finances. However, my husband was not on the mortgage. We called the mortgage company and let them know that Dad had passed away thinking that they would want the death certificate, but they didnt request it. So in the meantime, we have been making the mortgage payments every month. Recently my husband got laid off and we can no longer afford this much of a payment. Living in Michigan the home is probably worth half as much as dad had a mortgage for, but we cant afford to make the payments or move. Is there anything we can do? If we stopped making payments what recourse would the bank have?

nextwife

Their recourse is to foreclose, evict and sell their collateral for whatever they can get. You will need to move, you can't just live there indefinately without paying the mortgage.

Are you working?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">