• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after filing a complaint i was asked to transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qtshee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
My site manager has been harrassing me since the 1st day, she said that my pants were too tight and my shoes were too sexy, she accused me of trying to get her mother fired, she accused me of dating another colleague, she also made me go through a 4 day process in order to request time off which not other staff had to do and then took an additional 8 hours from my vacation time.

I told hr that these things had been on-going and presented every situation and there best solution was for me to transfer to a different location and department while my site manager is allowed to go unpunished for her actions.

Should I now file a formal grievance against this manager, go to the eeoc, or transfer to the other location?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
My site manager has been harrassing me since the 1st day, she said that my pants were too tight and my shoes were too sexy, she accused me of trying to get her mother fired, she accused me of dating another colleague, she also made me go through a 4 day process in order to request time off which not other staff had to do and then took an additional 8 hours from my vacation time.

I told hr that these things had been on-going and presented every situation and there best solution was for me to transfer to a different location and department while my site manager is allowed to go unpunished for her actions.

Should I now file a formal grievance against this manager, go to the eeoc, or transfer to the other location?
You should transfer or stay under her supervision.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not sure on what basis you would file with the EEOC as nothing you have posted constitutes illegal harassment. Nor has the site manager done anything illegal based on your post. Is there something you're not telling us?

If you had to guess, why is the site manager behaving this way towards you?

No hints from the peanut gallery - I don't want anyone putting words in the poster's mouth if we can help it.

commentator

If hr can transfer you, has a place you could go fairly convenient, has offered you a job site elsewhere, there is no reason in the world you should try to stay at your current site and try to get this person punished. It won't happen. Like cbg, I'm waiting for the rest of the story.

Hot Topic

A manager is within his or her rights to tell an employee that their attire doesn't meet professional standards. That's not harassment.

qtshee

answers

I have always dressed professionally. Her manager (the regional manager) has commented that he thinks I am sexy many times. My argument is not originally with him because he has a lot of political power in Chicago. But now my problem is with both of them.

I wear slacks and button down shirts daily. She has commented to staff members regarding my butt size. She has asked staff if they thought I was too sexy.

Also, she is the site manager and her mother is also there and allowed to wear whatever she wants and that is far from professional. The regional manager has become her mothers supervisor when there is clearly a rule against nepotism and directly and indirectly managing a family member. The regional said to me that he didn't care if her mom dresses sexy because she was 60 years old.

The second issue is that there is no policy against dating another colleague but she had entertained rumors about me and another colleague dating, which is not true.

She has accused me of trying to get her mother fired from her position because her mother also feels threatened by me.

She has made me go through 4 days of requesting leaving when the policy I followed and procedures were in the handbook and I followed them but she did not.

I hope this answers some of the questions that were asked.

qtshee

more details

My manager wear open toe sandals with red nail polish and shoes her tattoos on her arms. She has also come to work, in the past month, with a hickey on her neck. She wears fishnet stockings.

Those things are inappropriate and I have never been told verbally or written up regarding my attire. I cannot help that they feel as though I am sexy, but my dress attire has been slacks and shirts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I will rephrase.

What is the site manager's reason for this behavior? I am not asking you what she has done that you are interpreting as harassment; I am asking you her motive in allegedly harassing you.

You have STILL not posted anything that qualifies as illegal harassment or that gives you legal recourse.

qtshee

cbg-reason for behavior

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. However, I am unsure of what her motive is besides jealousy for treating me unfavorably and different from other staff members.

I can't answer the question on what her motive is. I know now that she now wants to transfer me because I filed a complaint against her for several of the actions she has done against me. After addressing my complaints to HR, they were shocked at some of the things I told them. It is harassment to speak about my butt and how my clothed fit my body to me and other staff members. It is harassment to entertain rumors of me an another colleague dating, especially if it isn't true and if there are not rules against it.

She has also threatened my with termination if she just so happened to forget to sign any of my request for leave forms.

However, instead of addressing the problem, which I see is her and how she handles employees according to the handbook policies, I see it as management sticking together instead of helping me.

eerelations

Okay, so again, nothing you have posted indicates that you are experiencing illegal harassment. Talking about the fit of an employee's clothes in the context you've described is not sexual harassment as defined by law. You may say that it is a thousand times, but that won't change the facts, or the law. So you have no case to take to the EEOC.

Employers are legally allowed to impose dress codes on some employees (in this case, you), and not on other employees (in this case, your manager). Employers are also legally allowed to treat their employees differently (for example having different vacation request processes for different employees). Finally, it is perfectly legal for employers to require their HR staff to side with management any time they wish them to.

Your employer could have legally fired you for making this complaint. The fact that you were offered a transfer is generous.

You mentioned something about filing a grievance. Only unionized employees may do this. Are you a member of a union?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not all harassment is illegal.

Nothing you have posted suggests illegal harassment. This is an internal problem and you are going to have to deal with it internally. Based on everything you have posted, no legal recourse is available to you.

irene1

Harassment in the workplace can further be clarified as any conduct that creates significant anguish to another person, with the intent to bother, scare or emotionally abuse. Harassment is also a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such a person and serves no legitimate purpose". She says she wears appropriate clothing, i.e., slacks and shirt the fit. She does not have to wear clothers falling off of her. She is young and attractive and does not have to wear ugly clothes to please her supervisor. Did you all read the way she says her Manager comes to work looking? Her manager is jealous. Federal and state harassment laws have further outlined what does and does not constitute harassment for various situations. Although she is not in the union, she still has legally protected status under EEOC laws. Some occasions of harassment may not be as plain as others, but yet it still creates a hostile work environment. She may not have a sexual harassment case, but there is harassment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, Irene, you tell me.

Was she harassed on the basis of her race, her religion, her national origin, her gender, her genetic information, her pregnancy, her disability, or because she is over 40?

The EEOC will ONLY get involved if there is a valid and supportable reason to believe that the harassment is based in one of the above factors.

A hostile work environment exists when, and only when, the employee is being subjected to either sexual harassment or discrimination/harassment on the basis of a characteristic protected by law; i.e. one of the above.

So, since you're so certain that this is illegal, tell me which protected characteristic is being violated here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">